RACE EVENT CANCELLED. OFFICIAL RELEASE BELOW:
In line with the President’s address last night to the nation regarding the Covid19 virus, we have met with all major stakeholders to discuss the best way to proceed with the 2020 Birchwood Half Marathon. The race is very close to our hearts and no decisions have been made lightly or without extensive discussion. In addition to the huge disappointment for both the participants and the organisers, there are massive financial implications to canceling an event of this magnitude so close to the actual event date.
As our primary responsibility is the health and safety of our participants and staff, we have had to make the very difficult decision of canceling the 2020 edition of the Birchwood Half Marathon. The Birchwood Hotel, who have shown us amazing support, unfortunately have other events scheduled that mean that we are currently unable to reschedule for this year.
Sadly, as we are only weeks away from the event date, most hard costs have already been incurred. Medals and t-shirts have been printed, and most suppliers have had to be paid for already. As per our race terms and conditions, no race entries are refundable. However, we would still like to issue shirts to all entrants who qualified to receive one.
We will be distributing the shirts from the Birchwood Hotel as soon as possible. As per Government guidelines, we will hopefully be in a position to hold a collection day towards the end of April. However, should the need to limit public gatherings be extended, we will have to wait for permission from the relevant authorities to proceed. Once we are certain that it is safe, we will announce collection dates. However, there are a number of strict guidelines that will still need to be adhered to:
• To confirm that you are eligible to receive a shirt, please click here >
• If your name does not appear on the list, please DO NOT come to the venue.
• ChampionChip will be sending a confirmation email through to you. Please print this out and bring it to the pick up venue along with a copy of your ID.
• Wherever possible, please assign a single representative from your running club or group of friends to collect multiple shirts on behalf of others. We are doing our best to eliminate a large influx of people, and as long as the representative has your race confirmation and ID copy, your shirt will be issued to them.
• For all people who did manual entries at the hotel and in store, you will have received your race number already. If your number has a t-shirt token on it, you are eligible. Please bring the original number with to exchange for your shirt.
• There will be sanitising stations on arrival and departure – please ensure that these get used.
Despite the financial implications for the hotel and the organisers, we have made the decision to still donate a portion of the race funds to our charity, The People for Ukajede Foundation. They rely heavily on donations to provide meals and educational facilities for pre-school children in need, and they need our assistance now more than ever.
This decision has not been made lightly. We understand the loss and disappointment to all, and we share in your sadness. Our priority is, and always will be, the safety of our participants and we can’t proceed with the event knowing that we won’t be able to guarantee everyone’s safety. Please be safe, stay healthy and keep an eye on our page for any further communication. We will endeavor to answer all emails as soon as possible if you have any further enquiries. Wherever possible, please refrain from calling the race office and Birchwood Hotel as they are currently under a large amount of strain.
We will be back even stronger in 2021 and we can’t wait to welcome you back.